We are pleased to confirm that as of 29 September 2016 requirements to fly a drone commercial (under 2kg) will be reduced.
What does this mean for you? Well… if you want to fly a drone under 2kg you will NOT need an operator’s certificate or a remote pilot licence to fly!
However, there are still some necessary requirements you will need to fulfil:
1. Notify CASA five business days before flying - simply complete the online 'notification form' (available from 21 September 2016).
2. Operate within the standard operation conditions:
- Do not create hazard to another aircraft, another person or property.
- You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of sight.
- Do NOT fly higher than 120 metres (400ft) AGL.
- Keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people.
- Keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes.
- Do NOT fly your drone over an area where you could create potential hazard to people or property.
- Do NOT fly your drone near situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue.
- Fly only one drone at a time.
Taken from: CASA, 2016, 'Commercial unmanned flight - remotely piloted aircraft under 2kg', Australian Government, Civil Aviation Safety Authority.
For more information send your questions direct to our live chat! Or, call us direct on 02 9318 0566 at any time during business hours. Our staff will be happy to assist you with your questions and enquiries.